Wednesday, August 5, 2009

But I don't feel like dancin', no sir, no dancin' today

I've always been bad at first dates and meeting new people. My small talk is lacking. The worst possible question to come up during these times is the dreaded "So, what kind of music do you listen to? What's your favourite band?" The times that I mumble "I like everything", because I really, truly do. The times where the recipient also can't narrow down their favourite music because "music is my life!" I'm totally not like that. I used to think that was the case, but it was such a lie. Music is not my life.

If I cared enough to have favourite musical acts, they'd totally be the Beatles, Bon Jovi, Tom Petty, and Journey.

I never know new music. I'm never very particular about what I listen to (some people would argue that's how Whitesnake and all that country fit into my playlist). I enjoy jazz, terrible 80's and 90's tunes, anything that makes me lamely attempt to shake my shoulders (I can not do it for the life of me) and move my feet. Country music makes me happy because it reminds me of home, and of summer. I'll dance around the house to Madonna or Britney. I've gotten into some music through B (Blackfield, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, etc.), but most people don't get the Metal (not that Blackfield and Porcupine Tree are metal). Every football game is a dance party for me.

I used to be good at keeping up on things. I went through so many music phases through university... probably because I was away from the nothing but country! confines of the farm. Cows like country music, what? I went through phases of jungle, drum and bass, classic rock, hipster tunes... and now I'm at a loss.

For my birthday, Kitty replaced my broken iPod with a shiny new green one. As I went through my iTunes, populated by things I like and a lot of crap (so maybe I like some music more than others) that the old roomie downloaded onto my Mac, I realized I need help. I need some music that doesn't suck.

Give me suggestions. Pretty please?

24 comments:

  1. Here are some of my favorites:

    Ben Lee ("Awake is the New Sleep")
    Rilo Kiley
    Jenny Lewis (lead singer of Rilo Kiley, she has great solo stuff)
    Ben Folds
    Mandy Moore (I want to hate her but I can't, her album "Wild Hope" is one of my favorites)
    The Decemberists

    I also love classic rock and could pretty much listen to Fleetwood Mac 24-7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lindsay!

    I could also listen to Fleetwood Mac 24-7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's pretty much the last time you ask me that question. *laugh* I didn't realise how long my brainstorming got..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup - ditto on a few of the above -
    Rilo Kiley "Under the Blacklight"
    Jenny Lewis - "Acid Tongue"
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - "Howl"
    Black Keys - Just about anything.. but their most recent (which escapes me) is pretty awesome
    Fleet Foxes - "Fleet Foxes"
    Robyn Hitchcock - Just about anything
    CocoRosie - (an oldie but goodie) Maison de Mon Reve
    Harry Manx -"West Eats Meet"
    Jens Lekman - Anything
    M. Ward - "Transfiguration of Vincent Ward"
    Black Mountain - "In the Future"
    Midlake - Whatever album has Roscoe on it
    Black Moth Super Rainbow - "Eating Us"
    Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man - "Out of Season"
    Danny Michel - "Welcome Home"
    Devendra Banhart - Anything
    TV on the Radio - "Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Confession: I was in the Bon Jovi fan club in high school.

    My recent loves:
    Great Big Sea
    Norah Jones & Jesse Cook for my jazz fixes
    My Chemical Romance
    Cake

    Old School - but a new love for:
    Sinatra
    Mamma Cass
    Ella Fitzgerald

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, I totally have Black Rebel Motorcycle Club on my pod.

    Also, Princess of the Universe, we can be friends... I have much of those things. The amount of Ella on my playlist is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate Voegele - easy to listen to
    Kings of Leon - hot boys, hot music
    Chickenfoot - good rock and roll
    DMB - "Groogrux" is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, you don't strike me as an Opeth girl but you might give a listen to The Gathering. They're very Evanescence/Lacuna Coil type stuff. If you're into that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I have to open up my iTunes for this one. I love...

    The Weakerthans
    The Hold Steady
    Ryan Adams
    City & Colour
    Tilly and the Wall
    TV On The Radio
    Yeah Yeah Yeah's
    She & Him
    Metric
    Jenny Lewis
    Death Cab For Cutie
    Caribou

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy!
    Johnny Paycheck - Take this job and shove it
    Roger Miller - Trailer for sale
    Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy
    Lynn Anderson - Rose Garden
    Charley Pride - Kiss an angel Goodmorning

    Not to worry.. I have more.. I also have them all.. so you can just steal them! GAH! LOVE THEM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Kitty, you and your old school country music are hereby banned from this post.

    I love you... and will no doubt sing along.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a hip hop girl - so I listen to people like:

    pitbull
    flo rida
    gorilla zoe

    but when I'm in the mood for chill I love:

    Lykke Li
    Ingrid Michaelson
    Regina Spektor
    Joshua Radin

    And some dance favorites of mine:

    Shiny Toy Guns
    Goldfrapp

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know some of the other bloggers have listed some which I am about to list but whatevs.

    From my iPhone:

    Blue October
    The Airborne Toxic Event
    Band of Horses
    Bloc Party
    City and Colour
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Elephant Parade
    Eluvium
    Gregory & The Hawk
    Hedley
    Imogen Heap
    Ingrid Michealson
    Iron & Wine
    Metric
    Muse (!!) LOVE
    Owl City
    Regina Spektor
    The Shins
    We The Kings
    The Weepies

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some of my current favorites are:

    Lacuna Coil
    Paramour
    Kings of Leon
    Sick Puppies
    Cage the Elephant
    Papa Roach
    Airborne Toxic Event
    Silversun Pickups
    Apocalyptica

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    The Killers
    Ryan Adams and the Cardinals
    Ingrid Michaelson
    Metric
    Stars
    David Usher
    Thornley
    Arctic Monkeys
    The Fratellis
    The Kooks
    Regina Spektor
    Glasvegas

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love just about all types of music --Sinatra, Barry Manilow, Flo Rida, Adele, Taylor Swift, Matt Nathanson, Sugarland, Bon Jovi, musical soundtracks like Wicked, Chicago, Gypsy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Has anyone said Aerosmith? I vote Aerosmith.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you. I like the old stuff.
    But sometimes it's fun to browse through the music playlists on "Grey's Anatomy" and "Gossip Girl". Lots of stuff you probably wouldn't have heard otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not in-the-know with the latest and greatest either! I don't even know how to use an ipod, hahahaha. But here are some songs that I like (mind you, they are old):

    - Coldplay "Viva La Vida"
    - Coldplay "Clocks"
    - Coldplay "Yellow"
    - Robin Thicke "Lost Without You"
    - Eisley "Just Like We Do"
    - Eisley "Marvelous Things"
    - Michael Buble "Save The Last Dance for Me"
    - Maria Taylor "Speak Easy"

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kate Nash
    The Promise Ring
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Maritime
    The Format
    Alkaline Trio
    The Weepies
    Tegan & Sara

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a recent obsession with Joshua Radin - very mellowish.

    I also love Great Big Sea (I saw someone else mention this).

    Jason Mraz is also a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete